Week 8 - Voice (LH)



Write a letter where a character explains why he or she won’t be coming to the family Thanksgiving as originally planned. The character is a college student who has made alternative plans to go party in Florida.

Now write another letter. Same situation, but this time the character is a person in his or her eighties, who is not coming because the person fears the wear and tear of traveling a long distance.




Dear Mom,

I hope you and Dad are doing well. I saw on Facebook that you got Christmas wreaths from the farmers market again this year. I’m sure our house is the most festive one in the neighborhood, as usual. I always loved that we were decked out for Christmas a week before Thanksgiving. Screw the haters! The McGhees do what they want! Ha – I know where I got my rebellious spirit. It is the spirit of the season (insert something smart about “the rebel Jesus” here)!

Things with me are going great. I’m really loving my Moral Economics class. It’s taught by this ancient medical-doctor-turned-philosopher who really slams the American healthcare system as “morally bereft.” I didn’t realize just how dismal my major was until I started thinking about the morality of economics. It’s enough to really make you depressed. Don’t worry, though, I have a great group of friends from my dorm who keep my spirits high.

Actually, I wanted to let you know that next week over fall break I am going to go with my friend Greg and some other guys from the floor to Greg’s parents’ beach house in Jax Beach. I’m really excited to have the time to just relax after a hard couple of weeks at school. I know that means that I’ll miss Thanksgiving with the family this year, but it’s important to me to take this time to unwind. I’m trying to follow your advice about finding a work-life balance in college. It’s hard to do that, but I agree that it is important.

Let me know how you guys are, and send photos of everyone together next week. I love you, Mom!

Kyle



Dear Virginia,

Thank you so much for your kind invitation to Thanksgiving dinner. I am so glad you and Jamie are hosting this year. I think it is important for your sisters’ children to see what life is like in the city, and this might be a good opportunity to introduce them to the concept. Their suburban enclave is bereft of any cultural stimulation; I know you and I agree on this point. Perhaps when they get to Philadelphia you can convince them to take a brisk autumn stroll to the Seaport Museum. I think Nora’s oldest daughter would enjoy seeing the old ships.

You may have noticed I am speaking with a certain distance about these potential Thanksgiving activities. I’m truly sorry about this, but I will not be able to attend your feast this year. Travel has become increasingly difficult for me this past year, and my work at the university has only increased with recent departures of several colleagues. I am looking forward to a quiet holiday at home.

Thank you, sweet niece, for the invitation to join you in your lovely home. I expect to see many photos of the fete. Please send my love to Jamie.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Uncle Paul

Comments